RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning)
RPL is the process of formally acknowledging the skills and knowledge you have developed as a result of:
- Formal and informal training programs e.g. School or another RTO
- Life experience: community group involvement, family activities, sports, hobbies, business pursuits, household management
- Work experience: i.e. training, on the job experience
Evidence of your skills and knowledge is provided by you and then evaluated by an assessor or assessment team against the units of competence included in the unit in which you are enrolling.
It is important to apply for RPL if you think you already have the experience relevant to the units of competence contained in the module. The advantages of applying for RPL are:
- You identify where your experience has provided you with the knowledge and skills required by the units of competence
- If you have already achieved the units of competence of a unit you will not have to do hose units of the program
- You will finish your program much earlier, and attend fewer days of Training if any.
- You only do units that are new and challenging. You don’t do units in which you have proven experience.
If you wish to apply for RPL please see your trainer in the first instance who will arrange an interview time for you to both discuss your application and give you an RPL assessment plan form to complete.